Saturday 3 January 2015

If I Call This One Foe-Hammer Will Anyone Get the Reference...?



So last year (it seems so weird saying that!) I started working on my Tempestus Millitarum (it also feels rather weird saying that in conversation) and with the passing of Christmas I have received a range of reinforcements.


When they hold that intervention about my Warhammer/plastic crack addiction I want them to remember this moment. Christmas pay is also helpful for buying that third Valkyrie. 

So with a lot of miniatures to assemble (3x Valkyries, 2x Taurox Primes, 1x Commissar and 30x Scions) I thought I'd jump into the more challenging kits (What I was thinking, I'll never tell. Or know for that matter). Firstly, I was really impressed with the overall size of the flyer. I left the weapon mounts unglued on the model as I plan on magnetizing them later (thank you rare earth magnets!) so I can swap the options around depending on requirements. (at $110 AU I plan on getting the most out of this kit.)

The overall wingspan. This thing is a beast. Transporting will be interesting.


Equally, I had a little bit of time to play with liquid green-stuff to fill in some gaps on the model. (I swear the older I get the worse my OCD becomes.) I managed to get some early, filling photos but forgot to take a final one. (I was doing so damn well with the photos!) Yet I am impressed how easily the 'paint' (I would go as far to call it a little thicker than the old foundation paints) goes on and the excess can be wiped away. Five coats did the job. However, I feel that three good coats would have done the job but I was a little more nervous to coat it on.

First Coat. It was easy to paint it on, let it dry slightly and using a wet sponge wipe away the excess, leaving only the green-stuff in the gap. 



The photo really doesn't do it much justice but by the third coat + filing the gap was filing nicely without making it look mismatched. 

Overall the finished shape is pretty good, and I am glad to have one done. I am even tempted to order a fourth one (mostly so I can field quite a painful and evil formation). On the topic of formations and army make ups I am currently fine-tuning the list I am hoping to run for a campaign. The campaign is being played at my old gaming club being run by my friend over at the Triple Helix Project. It's currently in the first phase of three. With the running theme of creating an imperial beach head I am very excited to drop my Scions into the fight.


Scions disembarking from a Valkyrie transport. 



Cannot believe how excited this mini diorama made me to get these guys onto the board. They in general look very dynamic. 

I guess the final thought is, one down, two more to go. I am hoping to speed up the production of the next few, just purely because this one took me nearly 2 days to assemble. (with filing, cleaning, assembly and green-stuffing) I guess only time will tell.

Emperor, help me.

See you soon,


Brodie.



P.S. I actually cannot believe I am considering buying a fourth. This is what happens when Christmas hours are over and I no longer go to university.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention mate! Those new models are looking an absolute treat! I'm very envious of your new air-force and will dread facing off against it on the tabletop. Here's hoping my Sallies can find enough anti-air fire to at least give you pause. Looks like my Whirlwinds will have a use after all :p.

    ReplyDelete