Friday 26 September 2014

My people. Sons, and daughters of Helghan...

++ Warning this post is a bit long winded. I tried to put in some pretty pictures to make up for it ++

For anyone that has known me for a long time, they would be well aware of my love of the Kill-Zone Series. Recently I found out that quite possibly the best shooter of all time (Ok, that's really just my opinion), Kill-Zone 1 was released in HD on the PS3. Considering this I still have actually managed to be semi productive in my hobby this past week, even when off defending Vekta. It was while I was playing the game I was reminded of how badly I wanted to re-create a Helghan inspired IG army. However this never came to fruition due to my lack of resources and skills. However during this week when I have been assembling my Scions unit I realized that these models could make a good base for this plan (As I try to justify the amount of time I have wasted on replaying Kill-Zone).

One of the images in the new codex, its like they knew exactly what I had in mind.
If anyone has played the game, the distinctive features of the Helghast were their red/orange glowing eyes and gas masks. Looking over some GW images I think that I should be able to achieve this on my Scions. Making the lights, lenses and control panels red and orange - but more on this later when I actually get to painting.

Firstly I want to point out that I really both love and hate the new scion kit, and it's only after assembling my first 5 troopers that I have come to this realization. The kit comes with a wide range of extras that can be used on customizing your troopers, which I like, but also there is a limitation of available poses with certain components (like special weapons and war gear). For example, all the Hell-guns have power cables that attach to the backpack (which is good, providing you can get them lining up right) however when you try to outfit your trooper with a Vox-Caster the cabling is replaced. Meaning if you want your troopers to have both a Vox and still use a Hell-gun, you will have to convert something. This isn't fatal just more of an annoyance, and there are other examples of this throughout the kit (like the plasma gun). If I was assembling these models 8years ago (back when a power sword and power fist on a Devastator Sargent seemed like a good idea) it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But now I want my models to not only be game functional but also tell a story.

So in the meantime until I can work out how to convert these issues out of the plastics, I will be sticking to stuff that I find both game effective and able to fit with my parameters of the equipment making sense. And on that note here are the troopers.I assembled them to form a squad of 5, with 1x special weapon (hot shot volley gun) and a Tempestus (Sargent with bolt pistol, replacing his 6" las pistol) and the rest equipped with hell-guns. I tried to get WIP shots of them but I was having too much fun assembling them to remember. I also apologize for the photo quality, as A) I took them with my potato (Iphone) and B) was losing light.



2x Scions with Hell-Guns

1x Scion with Hell-gun and 1x Scion Tempestor

1x Scion with Hot shot Volley gun

I really like the way the kit works (minus the above gripes), and I cannot wait to grab a few more to try out different combos with the cables and Hell-guns. I also found it really easy to get a sense of movement throughout the squad which I like. Furthermore I have my first squad ready to undercoat and paint. In the mean time I still have half of Kill-Zone 1 to finish (for inspiration - Its what I keep telling both myself and my girlfriend) and I have to paint these guys and a commissar. Wish me luck.

All the best,

Brodie

PS I was going to complain about the box to my family, friends or significant others but I knew they A) wouldn't care and B) seriously wouldn't care. Plus I know you guys would appreciate it, right? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment